Wednesday, March 5, 2014

WIP Wednesday 3/5/2014 ~ Briar Rose Patchwork

(not sew yet, just fused down)
Hello!
Yesterday I cleaned off my design wall. I had this patchwork at the top of it since September. I had to do something with it. I didn't want to just take the squares down and let them sit until who knows when. I remembered something I had seen on Elizabeth Hartman's blog years ago about using fusible interfacing for postage stamp blocks (I think it was postage stamp blocks). I'm pretty sure I used the method for this little doll quilt and then tucked it away in my mind and forgot about it. I remembered it the other day when I was thinking about making piles of these squares and chain piecing them which I really don't have time for right now. I decided to use the method for these 3" blocks. I figured even if I didn't get to sew them right away at least they would be altogether and ready when I could sew them. I think that you are supposed to use interfacing that has a grid or mark a grid but I did not do that.

I'm making 8 or 12 panels like this. Depending on how much fabric I have. I may have to get more Briar Rose. I want this one to be near queen size. I am going to sew 2 panels together and then quilt each section as I go. My basting area is so small and I think quilting as I go and then joining the sections will work great. At least I hope it does :)

I did get to sew the 2 panels. This method for patchwork is so fast and the seams look perfect. I'm definitely using this technique again!!!

Hope you are having a great week!

Happy Sewing!
xo Erin

Linking up with WIP Wednesday

14 comments:

Clara {Clover and Violet} said...

It looks so lovely!! I have some interfacing that has a smallish grid on it that I purchased years ago. Maybe I should get it out and do something with it!! Love your quilt, have fun!!

a maidenhair fern said...

Wow, Briar Rose makes a great patch work quilt. I see some other HR prints in there as well. I'm making a HR patchwork now too but with 9 inch squares. The colors are so nice on your Briar Rose.

Jacque. said...

That is going to be so sweet!!! Rock on!! xo

Heather D. said...

Beautiful!

agnes said...

Your Briar Rose blocks are so pretty! I remember that postage stamp post - thanks for the reminder! I hope to try it with my scraps.

Gina said...

this makes me want to pull out my Briar Rose and get to cutting! I love the fabrics you have added in!!

Heidi Staples said...

This is going to be such a sweet quilt!!

vintage grey said...

So pretty and neat technique! Thanks for sharing! xo Heather

Martina @snapshotsandwhatnots said...

chain stitching all those little squares would be so tedious but the interfacing idea is genius!

Leslie said...

this looks great. i love how you mixed in other fabrics from other lines and it still looks so distinctly Briar Rose

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I forgot about that idea! I'll have to try it sometime...

Jessica Christensen said...

I remember seeing that on her blog too. Maybe I will have to try that sometime. It does look fast and much more accurate than I would normally be. It could seriously help me finish up some projects that are languishing in my sewing room. Your panels look great!

Unknown said...

That is beautiful. I love the Briar Rose collection too. I am sure it will make you happy once it is quilted and on your bed. :-)

Sewn With Grace said...

This is so pretty Erin! What I don't like about the Briar Rose fabric is the orange and seeing how beautiful it is without it makes me rethink it. I love this!

>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...